We have a differentiated and collaborative approach to work with our clients to work on the inherent trade-offs in Organization Design. Our work covers both the hard and soft aspects of an organization to create an effective organization that is aligned with the strategy.
In each of these phases we use a structured step by step process that enables you and your team to systematically work through the difficult issues and create an organization design that is directly linked to the company’s strategy.
Step 1: Diagnose and Align
In this step, we typically do the following: diagnose the key issues related to structure; determine the readiness for the change; align leadership; and begin strategic organization design. The typical output from this includes:
- Leadership alignment on the need for structure change and the approach moving forward
- Draft design criteria for the new organization structure
- High level implications of different structural solutions
- Set of strategy questions that need to be resolved to finalize structure
Step 2: Engage and Design
In this step, we typically create and evaluate alternative organizational designs and select the design that “best” fits the design criteria. The design team also creates a high-level organization chart (top 3-4 levels) that describes how the business will be structured, defines the key responsibilities, and performance metrics for each part of the organization.
Step 3: Plan and Implement
In this step, we typically develop a detailed operational structure for each business, function and geography including the definition of each unit and sub-unit, most jobs and the people resources that will be required in each part of the organization. Typical output includes:
- Detailed operational design (all the way down through the organization) for each business, function and geography, and the division office.
- Coordinating mechanisms that enable the different parts of the organization to work together
- An identification of potential implementation issues and strategies to address these issues
- A detailed implementation plan that will be used to manage and monitor the implementation and the chartering of a Transition Team to lead the implementation
- A communications plan and messages that influence and shape the perceptions and behaviors of key constituencies in your organization
- Plans for addressing “soft issues” such as culture change, leadership development, and enhanced teamwork.
We work with clients to address change in a holistic manner. All our work is designed to enable transformations that consider the open-systems nature of organizations and address the social as well as the technical aspects of organizational dynamics.
We operate at the intersection of “expertise” and “facilitation” which enables guided discovery. The processes we employ are grounded in business realities and targeted toward improving organizational performance. Often, we play a dual role, facilitating the client as he/she works these processes while also providing our own point of view along the way.